Ortho Project : Intro

Since january 2020, I’m working on a new project : orthodentics !
I read an article, years ago, on a student (Amos) that did his own aligners with machines that had access at his university. By this time, it was just an interesting article, because I didn’t have access to this kind of tools. Time has passed, and recently my wife follow an orthodentic programm to realign her teeth, and the idea came back.

Since last year, I’m a proud owner of a 3D-printer, that was the starting point from my point of view, so I studied the subject for weeks and decided to try it !

Also, I have a past with dentists : I’ve seen them to much during my youth. So the idea of avoiding them, and doing a DIM (Do It Myself) project was really attractive.

The idea is to realign my teeth by my own.
For that, I need:

      • Molding tools and skills
      • A 3D scan of my teeth
      • A computer
      • A 3D printer
      • Dental material (plastics sheets)
      • A vacuum thermoforming machine
      • A Dremel-like tool

Except for the computer and the 3D printer, I didn’t have any of the rest and no idea how to do that, so I google-searched !

The 3 big challenges for me were:

      1. Obtaining a 3D scan of my teeth
      2. Manipulate the 3D object and realize the tooth-alignment-animation
      3. Vacuumforming the aligners

Today is 19th of march, I’ve solved the challenges, and I’m wearing an aligner for 1 week now !
Amos article has been very interesting, however I had to adapt some part.

I’m gonna write separate articles for each steps of the process. The idea is to share my project and excitement about it, to also share my result.
But in any way, it’s not meant to be a DIY tutorial.
As I share Amos recommandation, I’ll just copy-paste his warning.

[Warning: Do not attempt anything written here; I assume no liability for any actions you take to modify your body. ]

 

 

Lunii Hack : Improve longevity of the Lunii

My kids have this wonderful radio called Lunii , a “story maker”. That’s great, but the battery is not big enough and I decided to take a look.

The standard battery is a classic 503035 that you can find anywhere on internet for a few euros. It’s a 3,7V – 500mAh battery.

Good for us, it had a big brother, the 103450, a 3,7V – 1800mAh battery. You can also find it easily on internet.

Replacing it was easy (make sure of the polarity of the battery before replacing it, red on red, black on black). I will do a 3d-printed box to maintain it inside the Lunii.

Opening the Lunii by removing 4 screws

Image 1 of 3

Improving the battery-powered night light of my son

My son have a nice fox night light, that he really need every night. Unfortunately, it needs batteries (3x AAA) and as we forget to switch it off every morning, it’s kind of battery consumming. (Rechargeable battery is not an option)

So I look into my stock of “Let’s keep it, it may be useful someday” and found a perfect 220V transformer !
As I didn’t want to damage the night light, I decided to keep the option to use batteries : I need to make fake batteries.

Adapting new fake batteries

Image 1 of 3

Cutting the end of the 200V transformer, soldering a screw at the end, and adding an anchor

Ortho Project : Conclusion

That idea came around December 2019, and I try to implement it from January 2020 to March. COVID situation was a great help, because it gave me time and the possibility to wear my aligners.

I started wearing them on March 12th, and I’m currently wearing my last piece. It’s been 5 months, and I’ve almost reach my goal ! (photos will come soon)

I still want to do another round of aligners : As my teeth moved, my 3D model is not good enough to work on it, and need a more recent one. I also want to correct some small imperfections. I’m on holidays now, far from my 3D printer and tools, so I will resume it in September.

From now, here is what I can conclude on this project :

      • Time : I spend some time on this, probably close to a hundred hours between research and testing. The thermoforming part was clearly the longest, more than 3/4 of my time.
      • Money : It’s was really cheap (Alginate powder, plaster and 60 sheets of dental plastic were bought for less than 30€). I used around 1kg of PLA (15€) and already owned the tools.
      • Efficiency : It’s really efficient ! (wait for photos) Now, I need to find a dentist to put me a small contention metal cable behind my incisors to maintain them durably.
      • Pain : Ok, I had some. First aligner was new, and it was a little painful during the first 24 hours. Then, between each aligners, I sometimes feel a small pain with new ones. Probably because I wanted to move to fast between each aligners.
      • Speech : As expected, I had some difficulties to talk properly the first 3 weeks, but I get used to it.
      • Cleaning process : Each day, I needed to brush my aligners to keep them clean, same for my teeth. Mouthwash was also effective to keep a good hygiene.
      • Attendance : I was really focused during the process. Now with the summer, I’m feeling a bit bored and forget them sometimes.

 

Stay tuned 🙂